The Shelton Project is the Program conducted in Jamaica, and is currently carried out in Portland Elementary Schools, and within the community. The projects are based on the Seven Pillars.
1) ENVIRONMENT - Planting of trees, flowers, vegetables & fruits. Providing lessons on, Reducing carbon footprint - clean ocean/beach cleanup, recycling, etc.
2) HEALTH & WELLNESS - Nutrition - healthy eating habits, increase fruits & vegetables, including eating the vegetables planted. Physical Activity - promote Football/Soccer program. Conduct chronic Are Screenings - Diabetes & hypertension. Encourage Mammograms, and DRE screenings.
3) EDUCATION - Reading Program - providing books and establishing libraries in the schools. Established Chess Program.
4) CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE & TRAFFICKING AWARENESS - Conduct genderbased awareness conferences for the schools and adult education and training using Darkness to Light Stewards of Children.
5) VOCATIONAL TRAINING - Teach vocational skills eg. Quilting, Basketmaking, Jewelry making.
6) ENTREPRENEURSHIP - Encourage the women to form cottage industry using the skills learned in the vocational training.
7) CULTURAL ARTS - Encourage the practice and performance of the traditional art form of Quadrille, Drumming, and Dub Poetry.
Stand Up for Children
Royalty Sparkle Shine Girls Conference
Stand Up for Children Against Child Sexual Abuse and Trafficking is held in Portland during the month of March.
Stand Up For Children Conference for Boys
In the month of March HLN hosts the Stand Up for Children Conference, which brings awareness to sexual assault on children and human trafficking. Teaching the children how to protect themselves, what to look out for as far as abductions and who to talk to if things are happening at home
Earth Day - April 22
its very important to us that the children learn ways to conserve energy, recycle and learning life skills such as planting vegetables and flowers and maintain trees and marine life. As such we center events around earth day in April.
Primary School Chess
HLN has launched a Chess Program which is currently in three Primary Schools, Port Antonio, Bound Brook and Norwich. More schools will be added.
Port Antonio Primary
Healthy Lifestyle Network has been working to assist in the creation of a Computer Suite to help the children advance in their education. To date we have donated desktop computer, Chromebooks, desk and chairs.
World Oceans Day
June 8 is celebrated around the World as World Oceans Day.
This serves to educate the children on the significance of the ocean and the many contributions to everyday living. The children in Port Antonio are fortunate to be close to the Alligator Head Foundation, our partner for the World Oceans Day activities.
Basic & Infant School Four Prong Program
HLN is proud to be the first organization to introduce organized football for the Basic and Infant Schools in Port Antonio in 2010. Our Four Prong Prong includes Physical Activity- football; Healthy Eating - increase fruits and vegetables, Environment - planting of fruits, vegetable, flowers, and trees; Education- reading. We provided books to establish school libraries.
Portland 5K RunWalk
HLN launched the Portland 5K RunWalk in 2017. It will resume Post Covid in 2024.